Sunday, August 2, 2009

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


Hullooooooo! (in that wonderful Julia Child/Mrs. Doubtfire sort of way)

Please forgive me for my extended absence. Yes, I know that it's been over a year since I last posted. Yes, I have baked a lot since then. Yes, I know that I am incredibly lazy and a procrastinator. But let's put that all behind us, and talk about some tasty muffins, mmkay?

I have been on a blueberry kick this summer. Hardly a day has gone by that I haven't had a blueberry in my fridge. Usually they just go in my yogurt or some pancakes (we'll get to that). But last time I went to the farmer's market, I bought an absurd amount. I was considering freezing them, but then I came across this recipe from Joy the Baker. It was truly destiny. I actually have buttermilk in my fridge, which I can never seem to use up before the expiration date. I had two little applesauce cups left to make one cup, and exactly half a cup of brown sugar. Perfect way to start a lazy Sunday, don't ya think?



Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


Makes 12-15 muffins

Ingredients:
* 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
* 1 1/4 cups oats
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (two of the snack pack size)
* 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
* 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
* 2 tbsp canola oil
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I used the Crisco baking spray, which is great for muffins!

In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and it seems to fill them perfectly) If you have extra berries, it's always nice to put a few on top of the muffins.

Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown and delicious.

These go very well with a mug of coffee and Meet the Press, in my opinion.


Happy Sunday! :)

1 comment:

Allen said...

mmmmmm burst of blueberry!